Visitor's Guide
CONTACT INFO
Franconia Area Heritage Museum
  • Map View
  • Street View
  • Directions
  • Driving
  • Walking
  • Bicycling
  • Transit

Franconia Area Heritage Museum

The Franconia Heritage Museum is located in an 1878 New England Farm House with attached barn and sheds.

The Museum opened in 1998 with a collection preserved by Sarah Nelson Welch, great granddaughter of Luke Brooks, one of the first white men to observe the Old Man of the Mountains in Franconia Notch in 1805. Many other local families have contributed their artifacts to the museum, so that it reflects life in Franconia since the town’s founding in 1772.

A visit to our fully furnished farmhouse is like a trip to your great grandparents home.

Permanent Displays:

  • Iron Furnace
  • Old Man of the Mountains
  • Local Lodging
  • Farm Equipment

Self-Guided and Staff-Guided Tours
No admittance fee – Donations welcome.
The Museum is dependent on memberships, contributions and sales; it is managed maintained by volunteers.

Hours:
Open from Memorial Day weekend to the end of October
Saturdays from 1-4pm.
Other times by special request.

The Franconia Heritage Museum will open for the 18th season with a new exhibit – The Grange: a voice for the farmers.
The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was founded in 1867. Here in Franconia, Lafayette Grange #208 organized in 1875, disbanded in 1879, re-organized in 1894 and remained active for the next 94 years.
Maxine Aldrich of Sugar Hill, an active Grange member since the age of 16, recently donated several boxes of artifacts pertaining to the Grange. With this donation, combined with writings and mementos from the Sarah N. Welch collection, volunteers at the Museum have created a mock Grange assembly room plus exhibits featuring the Grange’s history and impact on society.
Also NEW for 2016… a photographic display on the repair and renovation of Franconia’s Dow Clock and Tower. Thanks to Harriet Taylor for providing the materials to create this new addition.
The furnished 1878 New England farm house with attached buildings offers many permanent displays, including Old Man of the Mountain, Iron Furnace, Guest Houses of Yesteryear, antique farm equipment, plus much more! Plan to visit this summer…there is so much to see and learn!