CONTACT INFO
Bethlehem Hebrew Congregation
  • Map View
  • Street View
  • Directions
  • Driving
  • Walking
  • Bicycling
  • Transit

Bethlehem Hebrew Congregation

Since 1920, the Bethlehem Hebrew Congregation has served the religious, social, cultural and educational needs of New Hampshire’s North Country residents year ’round as well as seasonal residents and occasional visitors.

Its historical building, dating back to the 1880s, is a landmark of American Jewish history, has been lovingly maintained and restored through the generosity of both residents and visitors.

Bethlehem Hebrew Congregation began in a store front on Main Street early in the 20th century.  The congregation bought and renovated the Episcopal Church on Strawberry Hill Road in the 1920 and began holding worship services there around the summer of 1928.

Since that time BHC has continuously held summer daily and Shabbat services and High Holy Day services. In the 1990′s the need for a year round congregation led BHC to hold year round services and Hebrew school. The renovation of the synagogue building was one of the major undertakings of BHC during this period under the initiative and management of President Margery ‘Moocho’ Salomon, the first woman to head BHC’s board.  And while women had played a key role in synagogue life since its inception, total parity of women and men as office holders and as worship service participants was attained during this period.